Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Simple Sambal Brinjal


I love to eat brinjals, especially those from the Nasi Padang stalls (Indonesian styled rice dishes) that are blanched in hot oil and smothered with chilli sambal. Yum! But I always suffer as I can't really stomach too much spice but I still go for it.

This is a quickie dish for my dinner. Chilli or sambal die-hards will hate it cos they will say that's no way to cook and eat. But I like mine mild and sweet and FAST - for a ravenous appetite!

As my sambal is relatively mild, the colour is not as vibrant. I also have no more parsley to add a nice green touch.

Ingredients
  • 1 brinjal or eggplant cut in strips and steamed
  • 1 tbsp of store bought sambal (or home-made if you have)
  • 6 tbsp of dried shrimps
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • Some dried mushrooms soaked in hot water with a little oil and thinly sliced
  • Water
Method
  1. Wash dried shrimps and place in microwave for 1 min, low heat
  2. Remove and blend till chunky powder form
  3. Put sambal, sugar and dried shrimps into bowl and add water till desired texture. Taste to ensure that it is spicy/sweet enough. Add more it needed
  4. Stir well and place in microwave for 1 to 2 mins, medium heat till all heated through (more in spaces of 20 sec if needed). If too dry, add water.
  5. Arrange sliced brinjals and spoon sambal onto brinjal and add the sliced mushroom
  6. Serve hot and ENJOY!

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails