I usually boil Winter Melon with corn or other mild Chinese herbs or as a sweet soup but never with Chinese Yam. So when I saw this recipe at Ellena's, I decided to try it. But I did change the recipe a little to suit our needs. :)
It was sweet, fragrant and refreshing. Both hb and Kimi liked it. :) It is believed that drinking this soup helps to alleviate body heatiness, lowers blood sugar, blood pressure, promotes urination, anti-ageing and aids digestion.
- 350g pork ribs, blanched
- 1 corn, cut in sections
- 1 stick of Chinese Yam (Huai Shan) approx 100g
- 1 carrot, cut in sections
- 1 slice of Winter Melon (Dong Gua) cut in sections with skin on,approx 200g
- 2 Honey Dates
- Bring 1.5 to 2litres of clean water to boil.
- Place the blanched ribs and all other ingredients and bring the fire to high and let it boil for 15mins.
- Reduce to low fire and continue to simmer for another 2 hours.
- Or alternatively, boil for 1 hour and place in thermal pot or boil for 30mins and transfer to slow cooker to cook on high for 2 hours.
- Serve hot. ENJOY!!